Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Is The Camera For Baby Dangerous

Cheffes ... Conductor!


few weeks ago, I attended a performance of a symphony orchestra at the debut of the conductor, I have a flash; Have I ever seen a woman conducting an orchestra? Apparently not ...

So I went in search of these women (although it should have after all!)

First, I note that biographies on female heads of orchestra wiki mostly begin with "* Name of person * is a conductor! " It starts well ...

Classical music is not a very popular topic and the topic of women in this field even less, there is not much information on the subject. However, there are several portraits of Cheffes orchestra that address some of their journey and the difficulties ...



"Born in Le Mans with a musician father, Claire Gibault recites his career at the Conservatory as evidence:" At 4 years I started music theory, piano at age 5, violin at 7 years, 10 years of music room, and 13 years conducting. "The only woman in the course of conducting" it feels a little disdain. But the comrades contemptuous change of opinion when it receives the first prize Release ...

Things get trickier when the young woman faces the labor market in this environment where "all the items related to power and glory are held by men." An opera gives him his chance: the Lyon . Again, even with the support of the team, he must win. "Some people reacted violently to my appointment, refused to play under the direction of a woman. When I walked among the musicians to get to my desk, I sometimes hear things very uncomfortable on my way. "


"For my part, things are positive, Laurence acknowledges Equilbey, conductor and founder of Accentus. But the concerts led by women are rare. Just browse through the programs of the major French orchestras: no woman announced for the 2010-2011 season. Set at least one or two women per year to me seem indispensable! Women are virtually absent from the direction of public cultural facilities, with the exception of the dance world. The world of classical music is still conservative in the matter. I would like to reach a better balance between men and women in key positions in the public cultural sphere. "


And surprise! I also found this organization: Maestros Women who want to highlight women in classical music and especially women conductors.


Have I ever seen a woman lead an orchestra? Now I can say, Yes!
Focused, passionate, inspiring! Some pictures to honor them!





Alondra de la Parra

JoAnn Falletta


Rei Hotoda


Carolyn Kuan

Zheng Xiao Ying



Jeri Lynn Johnson


Anu Tal i


Article on Laura Jackson (English)


GS

0 comments:

Post a Comment