Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Small Lobster Boats Sale

I do not want kids!

I do not want children!

There is hardly a fifty years, it was almost unthinkable to hear that statement. Today, the wonderful speech of "equality already there" likes to brag that Quebec is a country where women's rights are a central value. Most people think that with the methods of contraception and the withdrawal of the church women were able to obtain full control over their reproduction (of course if you forget the sporadic attempts of anti-choice to open the debate on abortion and the lack of information given to young girls on all methods of contraception and their effects) But what about the right not to want children and without being judged. In a world that tells us plenty of maternal instinct and increase the birth rate (to ensure the survival of "Quebec" ...), I wonder what saw a woman who claims not to want children. In short, what is the reaction to the statement: I do not want kids ...

I am amused to "test" phrase in my daily life and observe the reactions.

  1. "why" question often arises while the opposite is not necessarily true, we rarely ask someone who wants children why he claims to want. I also see sub heard: Is this for biological reasons (infertility)? If so, why not adopt it or not using the techniques of fertility?

  2. "Oh really, ever, ever?" Some people have great difficulty in seeing that a woman does not want children.

  3. "You'll change your mind", "The biological clock is catch you," "You do not have a boyfriend right now is that why you did not envisage" and all phrases that say: Ah! You say that now, but inevitably you will change your mind.

  4. I have not heard these remarks clearly, but so behind, I feel that people perceive someone who does not want a child as a selfish . People who have no children are therefore focused on themselves and individualistic because they do not want to have children ... this vision is rather simplistic to me as a person can very well bring a lot to the community or to other children without being itself.

  5. And fortunately those who simply thought it was normal and accepted the statement!

I also noticed that everyday there are a lot of comments that assume that all women will have children and we all become mothers sooner or later. Yet these remarks deny the fact that part of the population have no children in their lifetime. My little experiment made me realize there was more pressure and prejudices that I thought about women who do not want children.

On this I leave you with a little reflection you for a family is what?
Can a couple without children is a family?
Do you expect a person without children is carried out as someone with children?

GS

0 comments:

Post a Comment